“Retrogaming Game Jam”
This new Game Jam will launch on the 21st of February!
Bring out your old console games and put your Internet browser on, it’s time for a Wiimatch.
The Retrogaming Game Jam
Boomer alert! Using The Sandbox’s Game Maker software, you will need to create the experience of your choice, on the retro gaming theme. Sounds like a game you can play? Then read on!
The prize pool consists of a total of 50,000 $SAND split the following ways.
- 1st place: 20,000 $SAND.
- 2nd place: 15,000 $SAND.
- 3rd place: 8,000 $SAND.
- 4th to 10th place: 1,000 $SAND each.
The Important Dates
This is a short Game Jam so gotta go fast!
- The Game Jam begins on February 22nd, 2022.
- The deadline to complete and submit your entry is the 28th February 2022, at 11:59pm UTC.
- Submissions will be gathered from: 28th February till 13th March.
- The voting will take place between the 14th and 20th March 2022.
- The results will be announced on the 26th March 2022.
The NESessary Rules
Quality above everything else here, let’s create the next sensation that will shake the Metaverse. Nintendon’t be a snob and keep these rules in mind when creating. Failure to do so may result in your entry being invalidated and it’s Game Over for you.
- Your entry must be designed in the Game Maker software.
- Your entry must have retro elements in it.
- Your entry can include assets you’ve created yourself.
- Your entry cannot include more than 50 custom assets.
- Your entry must have some playability (quests, missions you name it).
- Your entry must be unique and not a direct copy of any existing experiences. (similarities are fine, exact copies are not!)
- Spamming the gallery with a number of low quality experiences just to try and fit into the 4th-10th places may result in all your entries being disqualified.
- Not completing the submission steps correctly (see below) may result in your entry being ineligible.
- The judging will be done by The Sandbox’s staff.
Submitting Your Entry
We will be using the Game Maker “Gallery” feature as a form for submissions. You MUST upload your game to the gallery following the GIF tutorial below and using the title: “RETROGAMING GAME JAM — Game Title”
You MUST also submit your game to the following form link:
WARNING! If you submit your entry to the Game Jam gallery but do not submit it to the form linked above (or vice versa), your entry will not be eligible!
Slow down — check everything! Take the time to submit a qualitative experience, rather than rushing and submitting a half-finished experience.
Game Jam FAQ
Who can join the Game Jam?
Anyone who is eligible to create an account at The Sandbox can enter the Game Jam.
Are teams or studios allowed?
Yes. You are welcome to work independently or as a team/studio of no more than 4 members per team.
Can we use custom ASSETs in our Game Jam entries?
Yes. You can use the VoxEdit software to design your own ASSETs to use in your Game Jam entry. If you have not done so already, you will need to fill out this form to be able to submit your custom ASSETs for approval: https://forms.gle/D5HHnHFRS9p3LNpq7.
Please note that the time it takes for your ASSET submissions to be approved depends on several factors, such as The Sandbox team member’s timezones, weekends, public holidays, and workloads. Please bear these factors in mind and make sure you submit your ASSETs at your earliest convenience. Then be patient.
Where can I get the Game Maker and/or VoxEdit from?
Here are the official links:
Where can I find guides for the Game Maker and VoxEdit software?
Check out the tutorials page on The Sandbox’s official knowledge base here: https://sandboxgame.gitbook.io/the-sandbox/other/tutorials. It’s super effective, if you are a beginner!
You can also join our Discord community, where creators often share tips with each other and post their own tutorials. You can also share your entry with the community for feedback, if you wish. The Discord community link is: https://discord.com/invite/cgCFFjj.